Pages

Sunday 5 February 2012

making the days count

Over the last few years, I've mused and pondered a lot on the things I do with my time, how I look back over the days/weeks/months/years. I used to look back on past days or weeks and feel like I hadn't done anything particularly exciting, new or interesting. And that was pretty depressing. So I would do even less.

I have come to the conclusion that, for me at least, there needs to be something different in my days to set them apart and not feel like the days are rolling into weeks, into months, into years. THAT'S just depressing. My calendar journal helps me with this, as it makes me think about even minorly interesting things that sets my day apart from the other 364.

Another tool that I began in order to help me make me feel like I'm doing and experiencing things, is a list. Yay! More lists! I can never have enough lists in my life.

Anyway. Since the start of this year, I have been making a note of every single new thing that I have done, seen, watched, read, whatever - no matter how minor, if I hadn't done it before, it goes on the list. And I'm quite surprised to note I have managed to fill a whole page in my notebook (which isn't that tiny actually) of new things for this month. I'm pretty pleased with this, and it cheers me up to see a whole list of things I've managed to try in the space of only one month, that I hadn't done before.

According to my list, during the month of January I:

☼ went to an antiques fair 
☼ dyed my hair red 
☼ got a tattoo on my arm
☼ started learning to knit
☼ watched a film whilst in the bath (this is the best! I just sit my laptop a safe distance away from the bath, and relax - it seriously is the future of bathtimes)
☼ ate smoked mackerel (told you I was even including the minor things)
☼ played L.A. Noire (this is an awesome game, I highly recommend it and I wouldn't consider myself a gamer)
☼ had my portrait taken
☼ visited Richmond Park
☼ wrote a guest post for another blogger
☼ went to a brass band concert (this was better than I expected!)
☼ watched two new films: Shutter Island and Jawbreaker
☼ read four new books: The Unconsoled, An Area of Darkness, Great Expectations and Vanity Fair


For once, looking back at the usually-dreaded month of January is quite inspiring. However, I am running out of time and things to try, so February's list might be considerably shorter than this. Especially as I will be back at work full-time from next week, so sadly I will have to spend most of my day writing apologetic letters to customers.

No comments:

Post a Comment