Pages

Saturday 4 February 2012

nice things (but not as nice as going out..)

Tonight I was supposed to go on a night out, for the first time in probably over a year (I can't even remember when I last went out). In a completely disappointing but not totally unexpected fashion,  my plans have been cancelled due to the heavy snow falling currently in the north of England. The local council is so organised (not) that I didn't see a single gritter until about 6 hours after it started snowing, by which point the main road in my village was so bad the police were in the process of closing it anyway. 

Normally I don't mind the snow, in fact I love it, but I do get really annoyed when it affects my plans in this way. Especially as this night was going to be pretty major. I was looking forward to seeing a crowd of people I haven't seen in ages, enjoying the freedom of being able to walk and dance, and wear two nice shoes instead of one nice shoe and an NHS ugly sister.

When I was in a relationship, going on nights out was not a major priority of mine. Frequently I'd make tentative plans and then, when it came to the crunch, I couldn't really be bothered, preferring instead to curl up on the sofa with a film or a book, maybe have a glass of wine and then go to bed. As well, we rarely had enough money to go on nights out - or, at least, there always seemed to be something else I/we would prefer to spend money on. Strangely, now I'm single I find myself wanting to go out more; it's not even something I've consciously made a decision to do, I just feel drawn to going out clubbing and, I suppose, being a bit hedonistic. Which isn't like me, with my middle-aged tendencies!

The below nice things are helping console me in my disappointment at not being able to go out tonight.

raspberry and apple bonbons. yumyum. 
 
 do I really need to explain this one? Keeping me in a good mood.

 got this DAB radio for Christmas and I love it. yes, it is playing Absolute 80's - and what?

 cosy socks, ohh yeah. These were another Christmas, but because of the bandage on my foot I've only been able to wear one sock until recently. They are lined with fleece all the way down, and are the comfiest things I;ve ever worn on my feet.

another gratuitous cat shot. He likes keeping me company on the bed. He won't know what's hit him on Monday when I go back to work full-time.

No comments:

Post a Comment